Some people just worry. Others are naturally carefree. No matter which one describes you, worry and anxiety are some part of your life. Before I started a family, I never thought of myself as a worrier. I enjoyed my carefree, happy life with little anxiety or fear. Oh, the good ole days. LOL (side note: I know rarely experiencing worry until adulthood is a true blessing)
I’d say worry and fear crept into my life when I became an adult. Like responsible for the roof over my head, the food on my table and bills that came in the mail, adult. But I didn’t experience intense worry or anxiety until I became a mom. Soooo many things to worry about as a mom from which diapers to use to why can’t I successfully breastfeed to is my teenager genuinely happy. I finally admitted to myself that I had control over very little in my life. It was at this point that I shifted my thinking and began to look to God and scripture to calm my worry. I knew I could not handle it on my own.
I’ve read the word “fear” is mentioned in the Bible 365 times or more. Without taking an exact count myself, just a quick review of popular Bible verses confirms for me that fear is a frequent topic in God’s word. I think this is because God knew we needed His word as a pillar for strength. And when do we need strength the most? We need it in times of despair, anxiousness, worry, turmoil, pain and suffering, conflict and fear. Because our lives present frequent opportunities for worry, we have more than 365 references in scripture to help get us through.
If you don’t have the time or patience to look up all 365 mentions (I don’t), here’s a short list of 14 different Bible verses for you to read, journal, reflect and pray on in your times of worry:
Bible Verses to Help with Worry & Anxiety
- 1. Joshua 1:9
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
- 2. Psalm 56:3-4
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise – in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
- 3. Psalm 23:1-4
- The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.
- 4. Isaiah 41:10
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- 5. John 16:33
- I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
- 6. 1 Peter 5:7
- Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you.
- 7. Jeremiah 29:11-14
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- 8. Proverbs 3:5-6
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.
- 9. Proverbs 12:25
- Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
- 10. Hebrews 13:6
- So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”
- 11. Philippians 4:6
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- 12. Matthew 11:28
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
- 13. Colossians 3:15
- Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
- 14. Matthew 6:25-27; 34
- Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds in the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
- *ALL VERSES TAKEN FROM NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION
Going through the exercise of finding and writing out these verses brought peace to my heart today. My hope is that they also bring peace to you. Pin this list for future reference. Reference them, use them, reflect on them and pray on them. Cast your worries on Him.
Hustle with Heart provides information on this website as a service. The content herein is not intended as expert advice and it is not a substitute for qualified professional advice, including but not limited to legal advice, medical advice or educational advice. Hustle with Heart does not warrant the content provided herein for accuracy or completeness. Hustle with Heart reserves the right to update, modify and alter the information and content on this site without any notice to you.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Our content may include affiliate links for products and/or services we personally use, recommend, and/or believe would be helpful for you, our followers. If you take action (i.e., subscribe, make a purchase) after clicking one of these links, we will earn a small referral fee. We also display ads on the Site which may generate revenue for us. Income earned through these affiliate links and ads helps us continue to provide helpful content to you.
We also are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.